Monday, October 4, 2010

Specialized Fatboy Tire

I replaced the Continental Traffic 1.9" with a set of Specialized Fatboy 1.25" tires and Presta valve inner tubes. I wanted tires more suited for road and paved trails. The combination of a slick tread, lower rotation mass, and high PSI did the trick.


With the Fatboys inflated to 100 PSI really surprised me. I was expecting a harsher and twitchy ride. It feels similar to the Continentals except for the extra speed/efficiency I gained.


1'st and 2'nd gear on the bike used to feel a bit high. After installing these tires, the gearing feels a little lower.


The Continentals are good for what they were designed for, but the Fatboys are perfect for my needs. They're awesome.

UPDATED NOVEMBER 20, 2010: I keep them at 85 PSI now. They feel way more comfortable and just as fast.

UPDATE NOVEMBER 28, 2011: Depending on how and what you ride over, pebbles, twigs, etc. can cause the front/rear end of the bike to instantly skip left/right.  It'll startle you if you're not expecting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment