Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Leather Saddle Is Breaking In

My leather saddle is already starting to break in. I can feel the slight depressions made by my sit bones. I'm surprised it has started so fast.  I've read some people putting in hundreds of miles before they noticed any results.


I did expect it to break in faster than others though. The riding position puts most of my weight (88 Kg) on the saddle. I didn't use any magic oils or special processes. All I ever done was apply some Sno Seal on the top. Since that stuff doesn't soften leather, I don't think it helped in speeding up the process.

I'm breaking it in the old school way by riding. Luckily for me, it isn't taking very long.  I've read somewhere that Brooks uses a softer leather for their "City & Heavy Duty" saddles.  That explains why it's breaking in so fast.

UPDATE DECEMBER 4, 2011: My saddle has finally broke in. =)

UPDATE APRIL 17, 2012: Problem with saddle?

UPDATE APRIL 18, 2012: Brooks saddle mod.

No comments:

Post a Comment