Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Coaster Brake

When I was a kid, all my bikes had coaster brakes.  It wasn't till high school that I got my first bike without them.  Fast forward years later and here I am with a coaster brake again.


I thought switching back to coaster brakes would be easy...NOPE!  It has been a little tricky, and dangerous at first.  Sometimes I would apply the brake by accident.  Usually at the beginning or a turn, or when I'm standing on the pedals to adsorb rough roads.  Luckily I haven't dumped it.

I can understand why some people don't like coaster brakes.  It only took me a week plus a good part of my childhood to get the hang of it. ; )


UPDATE DECEMBER 9, 2011: I changed the nut on the coaster brake arm to a wing nut (size M6x1).  Before I needed 2 tools to disengage/attach the coaster brake arm.  Now I only need one tool.  Either a 10mm wrench or a Phillips (+) screwdriver.

No comments:

Post a Comment