Monday, August 30, 2010

Protecting A Leather Saddle

Before I installed the leather saddle, I conditioned it first. I used a product called Sno Seal. It will waterproof the leather and keep it from drying out. Water isn't good for stretched leather under tension and load.


The instructions to apply it are pretty straight forward. I used a hair dryer to heat the leather before applying the Sno Seal. The heated leather will melt and adsorb it. I applied it on the top of the saddle and anywhere water might migrate too.

When the saddle cooled down, I gave it a quick buff. The process darkened the leather a bit but I think looks better.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely with that saddle! Should we start an Africa Bike Owners Club??

    http://www.cyclorama.net/blog/ramblings/give-a-man-a-fish/

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mick. An Africa Bike Owners Club? Sounds kewl to me.

      P.S. Congratulations on your book. Looks awesome!

      Delete